Wednesday, April 8, 2015

How to paint with Coffee: My First Attempt at Coffee Painting

First I did a simple sketch on water color paper...

Then masking-taped it to a piece of cardboard.

I took a cheap paint brush and did a light wash with a six ounces-water-to-two-tablespoons-cup of coffee. After I made the coffee, I diluted, but I forgot to see how much, :P. 


I put a little more coffee into the cup of diluted coffee and went over her dress and hair bow.

I used the undiluted cup to do her hair, but it didn't turn out very dark, :/. 

I took a paint brush filled with coffee, and spattered it over the picture for some interest.

Her hair kept "running", so I had to watch that, and wipe it up with a paper towel once in a while.

That's what it looked like when it was done last night.

This morning, I redid her hair, let it dry, and repeated that until I thought her hair was dark enough. But, for some reason, it got lighter as it dried the last time. I think it might be because it was in the light. Also, I forgot to watch her hair, so it ran all over the page, hahaha!

I don't like the way her hair turned out, but I do like her dress! My Dad is helping me figure out how to do the coffee correctly, so after we figure it out, I'll try to share the technique with you, :).  
This was my first try, and I had to figure it out by myself, because I couldn't find a tutorial on how to do it. So, I'm hoping to try again sometime soon, :).

No comments:

Post a Comment